Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A calculated risk.



In English please:
I recently did a course in Risk Management and how to manage risks. It lead me to think that we have become a society that thinks of almost everything as a risk. Risks are vital and should be taken into account, but there, like anything in life, should be some sort of REASON behind it. Some of the things I did when I was young had no reason or very little reason behind it, but it was fun to do.

One of the crazy things I got up when young were things I would never allow my children to do, the main reason being current society is so focused on laws and rules that not many get a chance to really live life. Computer games are frowned upon, but so are playing in the rain, climbing trees and swimming in a lake etc

At the age of about 8 I was already catching snakes, I went out one morning, it was a Saturday around about 9am. I left home thinking of what adventure I would be getting up to, TV wasn’t that popular and I didn’t want to hang around the house. I left my home and walked down the street towards the forest. I knew my way well for I have traveled this road many times. The sun was hidden by clouds, the day was not going to warm up and there was morning seemed gray. I had enough to eat and as I made my way to the forest which was close by, I picked up a small empty plastic drink bottle. I decided I was going snake hunting. I walked down the road, got to the end, crossed and was into the forest. My snake hunting experience was not much but I knew where snakes hid, under things, so I spend 40 minutes looking under things. I must say I was a bit scared; I was scared I might find an unusually large snake, which would not fit into my bottle. I looked under rocks and I had to be careful not to hurt the snakes if they lived under the rocks by crushing them if I lifted the rock and threw it aside. The grass was still wet from the previous night’s dew. I felt groggy but determined. My experience told me that I would more likely find a snake off the path a little bit away from people passing. I then saw these white rocks, they were not too big and easy to lift, and I lifted them and threw them aside. Under the rock was 2 snakes, next to each other, the were “baby” snakes 15 cm in length each. They had tiny horns on their heads and where whitish in color. I got a stick and placed them in my bottle; they didn’t even run or move away. I felt good, I achieved what I intended to do and got my snakes and did it within 1 hour of leaving home.

Later I learned that those 2 snakes were adders and if they did by chance had a little bite, I would not be writing this, however that is speculation, that is what could have been and if I did a risk assessment on what I did I probably would be a very high risk and potential death, but then I would have no story to tell.


---

“There's small Revenge in Words, but Words may be greatly revenged” B.F 1735

“The safest you could be in today’s society is alive but not DO anything” © Ricky Saunders 2007
---

According to research at an English university, it doesn't matter in what order the letters
in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter is at the right place.
The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem.
This is because we do not read every letter by it self but the word as a whole.


In Gobbledygook Please:


I receltny did a coruse in Risk Manganemet and how to mnaage rsiks. It ldaes me to thnik taht we hvae bmocee a scoeity taht tnihks of aomlst eevhtyring as a rsik. Rksis are vital and sluohd be tekan into aoccnut, but there, lkie aynhtnig in lfie, be smoe srot of REOSAN behnid it. smoe of the tnihgs I did when I was yonug had no rosaen bihend it, but it was fun to do, lfie is for the lviing.

Smoe of the czary thgnis I got up wehn yonug were tgnihs I wluod never aollw my cdlihern to do, the mian rsaeon bieng seicoty is so fcouesd on lwas and rules that not many get a ccnahe to really lvie lfie. Cupmoter gaems are fnwored uopn, but so are palniyg in the rain, cbmiling teres and smmiwnig in a lkae.

At the age of auobt 8 I was arldaey caihctng sankes, I went out one minrong, it was a Sarutady auornd auobt 9am. I lfet hmoe thniknig of waht avdnerute I wuold be gtteing up to, TV wsan't taht poalupr and I didn't want to hang anuord the hsuoe. I lfet my hmoe and wlaekd dwon the sertet todraws the ferost. I kenw my way well for I hvae tvareled tihs raod mnay tmies. The sun was hddien by cduols, the day was not gonig to warm up and three was minrong semeed gary. I had eonguh to eat and as I made my way to the froset wcihh was csole by, I picekd up a slaml emtpy palitsc dnirk blttoe. I ddiceed I was gonig sanke huitnng. I weklad dwon the road, got to the end, crosesd and was itno the fosert. My skane hitnung exepirecne was not much but I kenw wrehe skanes hid, udner tgnihs, so I spned 40 muniets likoong uednr tgnihs. I msut say I was a bit seracd; I was sacred I mihgt fnid an uusunllay lrage sanke, wihch wuold not fit itno my blttoe. I lekood udner rokcs and I had to be craeufl not to hrut the snkaes if tehy lvied unedr the rokcs by csurihng tehm if I lfietd the rcok and terhw it aisde. The gsars was slitl wet form the priveuos nhgit's dew. I flet gggory but detemrnied. My exrepneice tlod me taht I wluod more llekiy find a snkae off the path a lttile bit aawy form plpoee pssanig. I tehn saw tsehe whtie rokcs, they wree not too big and esay to lift, and I letfid them and trhew them aisde. Uednr the rock was 2 skanes, next to each oehtr, the wree "bbay" snakes 15 cm in ltgneh ecah. Tehy had tniy hrons on tiehr haeds and wrehe witihsh in coolr. I got a stcik and pcaled them in my bttoel; tehy ddin't eevn run or move aawy. I flet good, I aciheved waht I itnneedd to do and got my skanes and did it wtiihn 1 huor of levaing hmoe.

Ltaer I lraeend taht tsohe 2 saneks wree adreds and if they did by ccnahe had a llttie bite, I wuold not be wtirnig tihs, hwoeevr taht is spluceaiton, taht is waht colud hvae been and if I did a rsik asssenemst on waht I did I paborlby wolud be a very hgih rsik and petoaitnl dtaeh, but tehn I wluod hvae no stroy to tlel. Lfie is for lnivig.




---

"Tehre's small Rvegnee in Wodrs, but Wdros may be grltaey rveegned" B.F 1375

"The safset you colud be in tdoay's soeicty is avile but not DO antynihg" © Rkciy Saunreds 2007
---

No comments: